Wednesday, December 07, 2005

I watched a bit of Lost in Translation today; Scarlett Johansson reminds a lot me of Michelle Miller. Man, that girl was for lack of a better word "smoking". Funny story about her; well actually, more about me.

Last summer I managed to get myself a date with her and then in typical fashion screwed myself over before we even went on it. At work, me, her, and this kid who was about 2 and half years younger than me, named David, were in the back of the store getting rid of some carts of carboard. (For the sake of a subplot explanation I should explain that David and her had gone to school together so they did know eachother; they weren't friends, but more so aquantimces.) So anyways, as I was saying, we were all in the back when David started throwing some cardbord at her and making jokes (not in a rude way, but in a way that friends usually do when they're just joking around). It was at this point 2 problems came into play for me:

1- Michelle wasn't doing a very good job of defending herself back (at least I like to tell myself that for the sake of explaining my intervention) and,

2- I had just asked her out the day previously and she had said yes.

My conclusion under the circumstances was if I just stood there emptying the cardboard into the cardbord compactor acting like I didn't notice them it would just seem bad; like I didn't know how to handle myself in situations that could potentially become uncomfortable for both people who understood the situation- which was me having to fufill the stupid western sterotype that men have to protect their women (not that I considered her "my woman" or some such nonsense, but she had just said yes to me asking her on a date so you know...) All in all, it probably would have worked out much better if I hadn't bothered at all but, I guess that's fate for you...or just my lack of common sense. One of the two.

So, I decide I'm going to run at David, pick him up by his legs, hoist him on to my back/shoulders, and pretend I'm going to dump him into the garbage can. What ended up happening was a bit more like this. The first part of my plan, which included running at David, works out fine- the rest, ufortunatley, does not. I'm not sure if I made some sort of strange grunting noise while running the 2 meters to where they were both fighting, but David somehow saw me coming at the last moment and ended up reacting quick enough to put me into a headlock. At this point in time, things could have been salvagable if I had just given up, gone limp and said something like- "crap". However, as I have hinted at earlier, that was not to be. Given that David was 2 and half years younger than myself at the time, I figured I should easily be able to break myself out of such a hold. So, I give a big burst of movement and energy in attempt at breaking free and end up failing miserably. Being somewhat perplexed by this strange 180 turn in events I became determined to, as I saw in my mind, "make things right" So, once again I give a large burst of energy and fail to reach the desired results; so I did what any decent self respecting guy would do under the circumstance- I flipped out and had what I suppose would look the equivilent of a silent tempertantrum while being subdoed by security in a mental hospital (1)

Anyways for about...2 minutes maybe?(2) this struggle continued with us moving all around the back room, me slamming David backfirst into the cardboard compactor etc, while still in the headlock; until Brain, our supervisor at the time, walked in and we both stopped because of course we would have gotten in shit had we not. The whole time Michelle was standing to the side watching; thinking what I'm probably glad not to know (3).

Just picture that whole overreaction on mypart in your head and the subsequent humiliation that occured as a result of that overreaction. And this wasn't just at the end of work either where I could just sink off into the darkness either; this was with at least 3 hours of work left. I spent the rest of the time in a rather shocked mood with a blank stare occupying my face while I stocked shelves with with her, David and 4 others who were working at the time. I don't think I said more than 20 words after that happened to anyone.

Not really the proudest moment in my life. You try going out on a date with an incredibly beautiful women the next day and exercising even an inch of confidence. Given the circumstances, the fact that I actually managed some degree of normality, in my opinion, speaks minions for me.

Anyways, yeah...that movie reminded me of her so I thought I'd share that.

1- Once again, I should have just given up, but at that point it had become a personal matter of pride. I don't consider myself to be a vain person, at least socially, but any guy who's ever been in a situation where they're about to be humiliated, by someone much younger than them, in front of a girl they really like should be able to understand this.

2- I'm really not to sure how long it all lasted. Time has a way of slowing down to dispicable porportions when you're in the dog house so to speak.

3- Not that I considered Michelle to be anything near of a snobby stuck up type girl at all- more than anything I'm sure she probably felt pity for the fact that I thought she cared; but myself, being a guy and all, I found it hard to imagine anything else other out right disgust.

---------------------------

Random thoughts:

-Not to be rude or anything but there should be a rule about blog posting where certain people should not be able to pass link pasting off as posting. There is nothing more annoying than link posting without discription.

-Marching with Horseflies, a Ryan Dale song (of Limblifter fame) rocks. Go listen to it here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home